Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

40 Days Without Food: Divine Goodness to a Starving Soul by Russ Masterson




This is basically a diary of a man's journey to fast for 40 days. Honestly, I felt the first three quarters of the book was dominated by negativity. I kept thinking, "they always say, if you do not give joyfully, then don't give at all". Masterson's constant complaining about not wanting to do the fast he felt God called him to do overshadowed bits of wisdom he wrote about from the Bible and from others. It was hard to do, but I managed to finish the book.

I did not like the book for a variety of reasons. First, as I explained above, the first three quarters were dominated with negativity to the point I felt the author was literally whining about doing a fast he did not want to do. The end of the book discusses fasting. It would have been better had he taken the postitive attitude he conveyed when he discussed fasting and Chrisitianity.

Second, the book seems to convey that if you fast for 40 days all of your hearts desires will be fulfilled. The author got his dream job; fabulous vacationing; apparently the money and means to do whatever he wanted. I don't know if the author believes he was rewarded by God this way for his fasting, but the author does not address this in his discussion about fasting and Christianity.

I would not recommend this book. Tyndale House Publishers provided a complimentary copy of this ebook for me to review. This in no way influenced my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment